Bill Riley's Iowa State
Fair Talent Search
Bill Riley Talent Show: Wednesday, June 26th, 7p.m.
Rules for Contestants
|Jefferson County Talent Show Coordinator:
Kerry Hadley, Cell 641-919-4935, Work 319-456-2931
1. Age Divisions
1. Sprouts: 2 through 12 years
2. Seniors: 13 through 21 years
A person's age for the Iowa State Fair competition is determined at the time they win a local show. A 12 year old (or 21 year old) could turn 13 (or 22) by State Fair and still be eligible in the Sprout (or Senior) division, as they met age requirements at the time of qualification.
2. Sprout acts will be permitted to have one performer who is 13 years old only. If a performer in a Sprout act turns 13 before the State Fair, thus making the Sprout act have two or more 13 year olds, that act will automatically become a Senior act. Any performer who is 14 years or older will not be allowed to perform in a Sprout act.
3. Acts are required to keep the performance at three minutes or less. Acts running longer than three minutes are subject to possible disqualification or point deduction. This will be at the judge's discretion. Keep the act at three minutes please. Set-up time is not included. Please try to limit set-up time to one minute.
4. No more than five persons are allowed in an act. Piano accompanist is NOT included in an act and may be any age. No more than three accompanists permitted per act. Drums, amps, etc. are discouraged due to the one-minute set-up time. No combos, rock bands or similar musical groups permitted.
5. Acts are asked to not dance onto or off the stage. After introductions, you may take any position you wish to begin your performance.
6. Vocalists are strongly encouraged to practice and perform with the assistance of a vocal coach and/or a live accompanist. We understand that live accompanists are expensive, and sometimes very difficult to obtain for some performers. We do allow recorded accompaniment. The judges' preference is a single instrument. Multiple tracks, although permitted, are not suggested. This is not a karaoke contest. Any prerecorded track with backing vocals is not allowed, and the act will be disqualified.
7. Contestants may only appear once in any given show. This applies to qualifying shows as well as the competition at the Iowa State Fair. They may not perform "solo" and then return in the same show in a duet or trio. Contestants are allowed to perform in different acts in different shows, but they may only qualify for the State Fair Show with one act.
8. Professionals are NOT permitted to compete. This includes Union musicians and anyone whose principle source of income is from their talent. Compensation for performing at weddings, etc. does not constitute principle source of income
Contact Tonya Cook at the Iowa State Fair for more
Phone: (515) 262-3111, Ext. 215
Fax: (515) 262-6906
firstname.lastname@example.org (Bill Riley Jr.)